Amid heavy shelling in several parts of Ukraine, Melitopol Mayor Ivan Fedorov announced that Russian troops had taken control of television and radio towers on Monday. According to a report by the National News Agency of Ukraine or Ukrinform, Fedorov’s announcement came on Facebook where he confirmed that Putin’s forces were taking over the most popular TV tower and radio towers from the city. “The city’s television tower, like the radio towers, is controlled by the occupiers, those who today control the perimeter of the city, the armed Russian troops”, translated Ukrinform as Fedorov said during a Facebook live Monday.
According to him, more than 90 residential buildings were destroyed as a result of the fighting.
– NEXT (@nexta_tv) March 7, 2022
In addition, he clarified that neither municipal authorities nor any other government agency will be responsible for any announcement or content broadcast on television and radio. “Neither municipal authorities nor other government authorities can control the content,” he added. Meanwhile, Belarusian outlet Nexta claimed Russian forces had destroyed at least 90 residential buildings. He also claimed that the city’s cellphone transmitters are now controlled by Moscow. It comes nearly two days after Russian forces captured Mariupol, Ukraine’s tenth-largest city and the second-largest in Donetsk Oblast with a population of 4,31,859. Since then, the town has been cut off from all basic necessities. According to the mayor of the city of Mariupol, Vadym Boychenko, residents are now left without food or water.
In a televised address, he recounted the horrific situation in the city in which he said the area of over 400,000 people was now without electricity, water, food, medicine and other basic necessities. first necessity. He appealed to the European Union, the West and international communities for military assistance to create a humanitarian corridor for the safe evacuation of more than 4 lakh residents. Boychenko said Russian shelling was now targeting hospitals and added that he saw no signs of stabilizing in the near future. “The city has lost heat, water and electricity after five days of relentless missile attacks by Russian troops. People are running out of food and medicine. About 300 injured people are in hospitals, which are also attacked. We don’t see any signs of stabilization in the city,” the mayor told Kyiv Independent, quoting Mayor Boychenko.
Little progress had been made on issue of safe corridors, says Zelenskyy adviser
Amid this grim situation, Moscow authorized a limited ceasefire and the establishment of safe corridors to allow civilians to flee some besieged Ukrainian cities. However, the Associated Press news agency quoting Ukrainian officials reported that the evacuation routes were mainly directed towards Russia and its ally Belarus, drawing harsh criticism from Ukraine and others. Notably, the two sides held the third round of talks on Monday, with an adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy reporting that some progress had been made on the issue of safe corridors. Mykhailo Podolyay said without giving further details that “there have been some small positive changes regarding the logistics of the humanitarian corridors”.